Fracking – The LA Story
& what citizens can do!
Seeking ways to squeeze a yield from depleted oil fields, producers of natural gas and oil are using a controversial extraction method called hydraulic fracturing (aka “FRACKING”) which forces a mixture of water and various chemicals underground under very high pressure. What does this technology mean to us here in Los Angeles?
Fracking & Democratic Process:
Risks, Costs, Benefits
• Learn about local oil/gas extraction and fracking (hydraulic fracturing) and who benefits.
• Understand the health impacts and risks associated with fracking: are you at risk or paying the costs?
• Understand your options and how to exercise your democratic muscle…use it or lose it! How to take effective action on important issues.
• Create an action plan: sign up for direct action that will make a difference
Saturday, March 23, 2013
Registration: 9:30 am
Seminar: 10:00 am – 1:00 pm
West Los Angeles College
9000 Overland Ave., Culver City 90230
Fine Arts Auditorium (FA 100)
- 09:30-10:00 AM Coffee & registration
- 10:00-10:15 Introductory remarks by President Abu-Ghazaleh, a WLAC faculty and a WLAC student
- 10:15-10:30 The history and terminology of hydraulic fracturing by C. Tom Williams, Ph.D., Sierra Club
- 10:30-10:45 Earthquakes, air and water quality control by Paul Ferrazzi, Executive Director, Citizens Coalition for a Safe Community
- 10:45-11:00 The history of fracking in Pennsylvania by Lance Simmens, “The Yoko Ono Video”
- 11:00-11:15 Q & A
- 11:15-11:30 The health hazards of fracking chemicals by James Dahlgren, M.D., Envirotoxocology and Internal Medicine
- 11:30-11:45 Q & A
- 11:45-Noon Regulatory framework and why sometimes regulations don’t enough protection by Culver City Council Member Meghan Sahli-Wells.
- Noon-12:15 A proposal for a ballot initiative and a charter amendment by Mayor Emeritus, Gary Silbiger
- 12:15-12:30 Q & A + Legislative Solutions with Stephen Murray, Baldwin Hills Oil Watch
- Closing remarks by Prof. Olga Shewfelt, Prof. of International Relations
- 12:30-1:00 Adjourn to volunteer desks for sign-ups.